for Ridge Soaring Clinic in Grand Junction. I will not be posting weather reports the rest of the week but may post some of our flights there.
T.J. will be offering lessons to P2 students this weekend weather permitting. Call him at 970-343-9439 or drop him a hitmanharkness [at] hotmail [dot] com if it looks good and interested.
Saturday was a short day but before the clouds moved in we watched a pilot climb in a weak thermal about 20 minutes and many others got shorter flights. Threat of over development convinced several of us not to wait for a better wind cycles and get down before over development gusts came later.
Sunday looks suspect. Local forecast shows west winds all day. Pressure gradient -.11″. NBR is showing west winds. Will morning heating reverse flow? Interest in ground handling this A.M.?
Interest expressed by Jason in ground handling—-we will start at 10AM.
Looking ahead, NOAA radio is calling for steady NE flow ahead of next storm on Monday afternoon. Placing Ozone order today so talk to me if you want to order gear—about 6 weeks to get wing now.
Thursday was a good day for thermalling. Launching about 1PM I was able to slowly climb ~200′/min to 807′ above launch and float around for 26 minutes! No impressive lift but it was only March 14th! Video of flight is on Youtube. Not the smooth, flat 360′s I used to slowly climb.
After landing, I talked Kevin S.—-a P3 student— into a thermal that he was able to use for a few climbing 360′s.
Friday looks like west winds. Local forecast and NOAA weather radio calling for west winds all day. NBR and -.18″ pressure gradient confirm this.
Saturday morning looks like the best opportunity to fly this weekend. Saturday afternoon is forecast to have a 50% chance of rain. Sunday is again calling for west winds.
Pressure gradient -.16″ and local forecast and NOAA weather radio calling for west winds all day. Doesn’t look as gusty as yesterday so there is an opportunity to ground handle this morning. Now light winds in l.z. I will meet pilots that want to improve their reverse launches and kiting at 8:30AM.
Take a look at this new ground handling technique and we can practice and discuss it this morning.
This afternoon shows a NW cold front passing with gusty winds. Tomorrow , President’s Day, looks windy also.
Tuesday looks like the next flying day.
Pressure gradient -.27″ and NBR reporting gusts to over 40 m.p.h.! Local weather forecast shows west winds to continue all day. Winds aloft are strong. Warm down slope winds should melt remaining winds. Good day to have your reserve repacked or repairs made on you gear.
Here is the last Mexico video to watch for 2013.
Sunday flying will be better?
Got back from Mexico this week and while I watched the snow melt with west winds here, I put together some of the videos of our flights in Mexico.
The first video.
Friday looks like west winds.
This weekend looks good so let me know if you gave interest in flying midday either day.
Take a look at jet stream map. Our winter nightmare is back! I hope it will not stay long and that we will be able to fly again latter this week but this should be a reminder that winter brings the jet stream and high winds aloft.
Today would be a good day to sign up for one of our winter flying trips to Mexico. We have been going there for over 20 years and narrowed our trips down to the world class Tapalpa area for 10 years. Space is limited as I have already received deposit checks. January 20-27 will be the P2 week and January 27-February 3rd for the P3 week. A check for $800 holds your spot for either or week or $1,350 for both weeks. Same private room, breakfast, airport pickup, site fees, and coaching included.
Yesterday afternoon was another great one for soaring. I wanted to commute to work while some P1′s were hiking up for their third flights and I landed on the lower launch after a smooth soaring session. I then coached them off and watched 3 other pilots soar above me.
Today’s pressure gradient is -.13″ but NBR is already showing NE flow. Expect sunshine and active conditions by midday. I will start with P2′s at 8AM. Expect these condition to continue until about 4PM when smooth soaring conditions to return. Chance of thunderstorms 0%!
T.J. has earned his U.S.H.G.A. basic instructor rating and will be offering another P1 at 2PM today. He has one spot left if you have any friends who would like to be introduced to our amazing sport.
I plan to hike up for an evening flight again at 2PM—-like that softer air!
Due to the recent rain and TFR there will be no flying today but Friday looks good with neither!
Ridge Soaring Clinic will be held October 12-14 in Grand Junction. Each morning we will start flying at sunrise at Otto’s Ridge and end each day flying at Reader Mesa. Mid day we will fly nearby Rabbit Mountain.
Send me an email if you wish to be added to contact list.