Sunday saw a short soaring window: I launched a 11AM and the hill went into the shadows shortly thereafter so I was only able to fly for 32 minutes! See short video.
Wednesday and Thursday don’t look good: both NOAA weather radio and local forecast all calling for westerly winds all day!
Saturday looks stable and partly cloudy. The local forecast is calling for NE winds all day!
NBR is already showing easterly up slope winds & rain. Hold for rain to stop!
Last weekend was the spring 2016 Ridge Soaring Clinic in Grand Junction. We had great success and flew & soared 4 times! Uncommonly we flew Otto’s Ridge Thursday until 8PM! and then 3 times on Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings. Here are some of the flights.
Wednesday looks windy: Winds above my house are gusting to 15 m.p.h out of the west!
Regional weather map shows clear skies and no fronts but …
Local weather forecast is for winds to go east later, but …
NBR show west winds early. Pressure difference -.12″
Jet stream over area.
Winds aloft very high, waiting till Thursday for lessons.
Jet stream is over CO and strong winds are forecast. NOAA weather radio calling for strong westerly winds all day. Pressure gradient -.22″! Local weather forecast calling for NW winds all day. Winds aloft are very high!
No lessons are planned.
Wednesday was a humid day with several threats to over development. Derrick & I climbed up early and he got his first thermal soaring forecast climbing up with 360’s. I saw the quickly developing clouds and launched soon thereafter and climbed constantly as I headed towards Boulder Reservoir. I landed at Gateway Park.
Thursday looks like a short day also due to strong southerly winds and thunderstorms forecast in the PM. Regional weather map shows frontal activity to the NW!
Pressure difference -.13″.
Local forecast shows light easterly winds this AM. NBR showing light and variable winds.
Will start with P1’s at 8AM.
Thermal soaring forecast is excellent starting at 10:45 with over development by 3PM!
Saturday was a great day for flying. My P1 students go 4 flights off and completed their P1 in just 2 days! Later in the day I watched an advance pilot climb several hundred feel above the ridge in active air.
Sunday looks like down slope winds. Local forecast calls for west winds all day. NOAA weather radio calling for NW winds all day! Pressure difference is -.25″ and NBR is showing steady west winds.
Good day to call me and talk to me about ordering equipment because I will be placing an order with Ozone tomorrow.
Regional weather map show High Pressure to west and Low to east. Pressure difference -.2″. NBR shows light and variable winds early
Local forecast calls for easterly winds all day.
We will start flying at 8AM and ground handling at 10:AM.
Saturday was a good day for flying. My new P1 student got his first 2 flights and several P2 students got flights also. The forecast west winds did not arrive until late afternoon.
Sunday looks similar. Regional weather map shows cloudy skies. Local weather forecast calls for easterly winds this AM switching to westerly this PM. Pressure difference -.17″ and NBR showing light and variable winds.
We will start again at 8:30AM.
Thermal soaring forecast excellent starting at 10:30AM!
Friday saw passage of a cold front with steady NE flow. I watched 3 pilots soar in smooth lift!
Saturday looks mostly cloudy. Regional weather map shows increasing clouds from the west. Local weather forecast calls for light westerly winds all day. Barometric pressure steady or falling at front range airports. Pressure difference -.13″ and NBR reporting light up slope winds!
We will meet at 8:30AM for ground handling or flights.
Last night I finally received my Boulder Open Space permit so instruction has begun this year!
Sunday: Catabatic winds were forecast all day. I and some other pilots could not find west winds midday so we climbed up and launched about 12:30PM. I was surprised to have a get 500′ over launch in February! See it at here.
Friday looks partly cloudy. Regional weather map shows mostly cloudy skies with approaching Canadian Cold Front. Increasing NE winds!
I have P1 starting ground handling at 10:30AM. Join us for ground handling and then flying?