I have had 4 days of flying at the Rat Race. It has been a very educational and exciting place to be. I made goal twice missing a few way points.
Yesterday I got 2,000′ over launch twice but the valley winds and extreme sink prevented me from making the valley crossing.
My glide ratio into the valley was only 2/1! Video to come latter with better up load speed.
We returned last night from an Intensive P1/P2 course in Grand Junction. Video’s to follow. These new pilots got over 25 flights and hours soaring and experienced top landings! After 6 days of flying many received their P2’s and lots of camping and are ready and experience flying at North Boulder.
Saturday looks great: clear skies and High pressure dominate. Steady easterly winds all day. Winds aloft are light. Thermal soaring forecast is excellent—-1,300’/min—starting at 11:30AM with over development at 5 PM. Be ready for active air this PM!
Sunday is starting much better then overcast and rain early Saturday but Saturday started very cloudy but ended up soarable to almost till 6PM!
I launched late at 3:45PM from the drop off site but found abundant lift as seem by my Doarama.
I was able to climb almost 2,000′ over and boat around for 40 minutes and in fact searching for sink to land!
Sunday starts less cloudy. Thermal soaring forecast is much better as good starting at 11AM. Local forecast calls for easterly winds all day.
I have several pilots working on their ground handling skills this AM in the park getting ready for intensive P1/P2 course in Grand Junction starting next Sunday but perhaps I will get another soaring flight in the PM?
Christmas’s strong winds blew windsock on ridge at North Boulder down!
I hope we can get it reinstalled soon!
This month’s jet stream winds winds have been too strong and I look forward to my trip to Tapalpa, Mexico next month.
One week is full but I may add another week January 23—30th if there is demand. Let me know if you want to get out of the wind!
Friday’s flying was late because up slope flow was slow to develop & then very smooth with no soaring flights.
Saturday looks worst. Local weather forecast shows no easterly flow until 11AM. Regional weather maps shows cloudy skies and limited heating.
NBR showing westerly winds. Pressure difference -.27″!
NBR now showing east winds and sun is out!
Saturday showed light easterly winds all day and many flights. I observed only one 5 minute soaring flight—Will on a Delta 2!
Sunday: Regional weather map shoes NW cold front with High to west and Low to east. Pressure gradient is very negative .26″ and local forecast call for west winds all day! NOAA weather radio calls for NW winds all day also. NBR showing light and variable winds but Sugar Loaf and Estes Park already showing west winds.
6 of 8 spots for Tapalpa, Mexico Jan 30–February 6th are now filled. If you want one of remaining ones, call me today!
Regional weather map cloudy conditions over area. Local forecast calls for westerly winds all day. Pressure gradient -.05″ and NBR showing west winds.
NOAA weather radio calling for strong west winds by time things heat up.
Winds aloft very high—31 m.p.h. at 9K!
Hope Sunday will be as Thursday was when several of us caught thermals and soared!
3 pilots signed up for Tapalpa, Mexico
Passage of a cold front early this AM gives us post frontal conditions. NOAA weather radio calling for strong 10–20 m.p.h. NE flow. Ft. Collins reporting NE flow already. NBR reporting light early. When will this change?
Local weather forecast calls for partly cloudy skies and light easterly flow all day. Pressure difference is -.16″ and NBR showing light and variable winds early. 10% chance of thunderstorms this PM.
Since there is a slow heating, watch my flight in Aspen this week—great place to fly once you have your P3 rating.
Thermal soaring forecast is excellent: 1,200’/min with thermals starting at 12PM and no over development forecast!