Thermals will develop slowly today due to high humidity and clouds. Local forecast shows light winds all day and only 20% chance of thunderstorms. NBR showing light winds and high humidity.
Thermal soaring forecast is excellent—-1,827′/min starting at 10AM with no over development!
Let me know when you want to start.
Pressure gradient -.14″ but local forecast shows east winds all day. Thunderstorm are likely this PM at 40% so we will start lessons at 7:30AM. Post frontal conditions bring active air by midday.
Weather maps shows clouds clearing but humidity high at 70%. Look for short day as 40% of thunderstorms this PM. NBR already showing slight upslope flow. Will start at 8AM. Thermal soaring forecast is good—-600′/min starting at 10AM.
I have used the last rainy days to edit and upload the first video of the Spring 2013 Ridge Soaring Clinic. This shows our morning flying at Otto’s Ridge. In few day I will post the afternoon flights at Reeder Mesa. Enjoy.
With pressure gradient of -.18″ and strong winds aloft looks like strong west winds all day. Too wet and strong for ground handling. This will hopefully melt snow quickly today and allow flying this weekend. Local forecast shows Saturday morning the best chance of flying.
Reserve repack clinic this evening. Good chance to see if your reserve is ready. Starting at 5PM.
Cloudy skies and high humidity–75%–will slow heating and thermal development today. Thermal soaring forecast is poor for today calling them to start this afternoon. Pressure gradient -.02″ and NBR and mountain sites showing light winds.
Snow if gone so let me know when you want to start.
Saturday was a short day but before the clouds moved in we watched a pilot climb in a weak thermal about 20 minutes and many others got shorter flights. Threat of over development convinced several of us not to wait for a better wind cycles and get down before over development gusts came later.
Sunday looks suspect. Local forecast shows west winds all day. Pressure gradient -.11″. NBR is showing west winds. Will morning heating reverse flow? Interest in ground handling this A.M.?
Interest expressed by Jason in ground handling—-we will start at 10AM.
Looking ahead, NOAA radio is calling for steady NE flow ahead of next storm on Monday afternoon. Placing Ozone order today so talk to me if you want to order gear—about 6 weeks to get wing now.
Thursday looks like the day to fly. Local forecast it will be up slope most of the day and Friday shows west winds!
Pressure gradient -.09″ and NBR showing light and variable winds. I will start with P1′s at 8AM, Looks sunny most of day with NE flow.
Pressure gradient 0 and NBR slight up slope flow. This morning is flyable before snow and my departure this afternoon. Let me know if you want to do a few flights this morning before I leave for spring break. I will not be available until end of next week.
Pressure gradient -.08″ and light winds at NBR. Winds aloft light. Soaring forecast weak so we will start at 9AM.
Fly next few days as this weekend shows a 60% of snow!
NOAA weather radio and local forecast call for westerly winds again on Monday. Pressure gradient -.09″ and cloudy skies over area. Light winds in area now and pressure is rising. Will there be enough sunshine to cause up slope flow to overpower negative pressure gradient?
Keep an eye on NBR and NCAR stations.