Sad Sunday

Steady west winds are on the local forecast for today.  Pressure gradient is big at -.20″ and NBR showing strong west winds. Cloudy skies will prevent up slope flow from developing.

Forecast also looks poor for next few days with rain and snow.  Wednesday?

Time to think about our Mexico P1, P2 and P3 courses this next year? I am limiting each one to 4 pilots and they already have deposits. Contact  me if interested in getting one of the last spots.

 

Post flood soaring

Post frontal conditions on Sunday gave me a chance to view the flood damage at North Boulder.  I was pleased to experience abundant lift at about 11 AM:

Yes, winter is coming and  such soaring flights will be harder to find here anymore so consider one of our trips to Tapalpa, Mexico in January:

I have been enjoying warm weather flights in January there for many years and this year will offer a new P1 course for P1 pilots that want to earn their  P2 in Mexico. Meet us at the Guadalajara airport January 12th and spend a week doing tandem flights with me and ground handling until you are ready to fly Tapalpa, a 2,500′ drive up site with a large take off and landing area.  You will quickly build your flying skills with several 15 minute flights each day for 6 days in a row. Recommended flight is $499.

If you already have your P2 rating, join us for the week of January 19—26th. You will get lots of long flights and learn to thermal and ridge soar in glass off conditions.

If you have already been to Mexico with us before or have a P3 rating, the P3 week February 2—9th is the week to do top landings and XC flights.

Time to think about heading south as I will limit each week to 4 pilots.

Ridge Soaring Clinic in Grand Junction postponed until Saturday

I just looked at and heard several weather forecasts and Friday looks wet and windy for flying.

Take a look at Fruita’s forecast: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:81521.1.99999&MR=1
Rain is forecast for tonight and Friday,

Winds will also be strong and west: http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KGJT&state=CO

Saturday, Sunday and Monday look good.

I am now in Aspen and it is cloudy and windy. I plan to stay here another day and then drive to Grand Junction Friday afternoon.

I suggest you also postpone your travel plans. I contacted the Super 8 Motel in Fruita and delay our reservations by a day. We can plan to stay another day and fly all day Sunday and Monday morning?

Hope you can adjust your plans to the weather also.

Saturday looks like post frontal flying and …

Weather map shows cold front passed by early this morning. Expect active air my midday. Will start with P1’s at 7:30 AM to get flights in before turbulence and 30% chance of thunderstorms later.

Local weather forecast shows easterly flow all day. Contrast with west winds all day Sunday!

Pressure gradient -.02. And NBR showing light & variable winds.

Thursday was the day because Friday …

Thursday was a good day for thermalling. Launching about 1PM I was able to slowly climb ~200’/min to 807′ above launch and float around for 26 minutes! No impressive lift but it was only March 14th!  Video of flight is on Youtube. Not the smooth, flat 360’s I used to slowly climb.

After landing, I talked Kevin S.—-a P3 student— into a thermal that he was able to use for a few  climbing 360’s.

Friday looks like west winds. Local forecast and NOAA weather radio calling for west winds all day.  NBR and -.18″ pressure gradient confirm this.

Saturday morning looks like the best opportunity to fly this weekend. Saturday afternoon is forecast to have a 50% chance of rain. Sunday is again calling for west winds.