Friday started late after CU graduation. Bob & I took off at 5PM and experienced a strong glass off! Staying up was easy and I climbed to 1,800′ over in a few minutes. The lift was so abundant and winds so strong out of the south that I decided to see how far the magic air would push me as flew along H93 towards Lyons: 4.7 miles!
See my Doarama
Saturday looks short; Regional weather map shows approaching NW Cold Front!
Local weather forecast shows westerly winds by noon and strong westerly winds this PM! Pressure difference -.03″ and barometric pressure dropping. NOAA weather forecast calling for westerly winds this PM.
Thermal Soaring Forecast is excellent—1,300’/min starting at 10:45AM with no over development. Winds aloft are high!
Saturday started very slow and I had the first soaring flight launching at 12:40 PM!
The lift was scattered and I could only climb to 500′ above launch in 21 minutes!
Here is my track log.
I should have been more patient as several pilots launching later made it to Lyons!
Sunday looks cloudier. Weather map shows cloudy conditions. Easterly winds this AM but strong westerly winds late afternoon! Reporting 10% chance of thunderstorms.
Thermal soaring forecast is good—700’/min— but short today not starting until 12AM and thunderstorms by 3PM!
Winds aloft are low.
NBR is showing light winds.
Sunday is starting much better then overcast and rain early Saturday but Saturday started very cloudy but ended up soarable to almost till 6PM!
I launched late at 3:45PM from the drop off site but found abundant lift as seem by my Doarama.
I was able to climb almost 2,000′ over and boat around for 40 minutes and in fact searching for sink to land!
Sunday starts less cloudy. Thermal soaring forecast is much better as good starting at 11AM. Local forecast calls for easterly winds all day.
I have several pilots working on their ground handling skills this AM in the park getting ready for intensive P1/P2 course in Grand Junction starting next Sunday but perhaps I will get another soaring flight in the PM?
Saturday’s thermal soaring forecast is fair–243’/min—but I see clear skies and sun. I hope thermals to be stronger after 11AM and no over development is forecast.
Winds aloft are light and NBR is already showing easterly flow. Looks like a good spring day for flying.
Here is my Diarama from yesterday.
Had 1 hour flight, got 1,500′ over and saw sustained lift of 800’/min and peaks of 1,100″/min.
Today’s forecast is not as good with thermals not as strong.
Saturday was good but interrupted by dark clouds. I saw one pilot soaring between them.
Sunday looks better: regional map shows high pressure and sunny skies over area. Local forecast shows light winds. Pressure gradient -.17″. Thermal soaring forecast is excellent today—1,000’/min. First thermal at 11:45AM and no over development is again forecast. NBR showing light and variable winds.
Will start with ground handling at 10 AM.
Local forecast shows west winds next few days! Winds aloft are high! Pressure gradient very negative.
Saturday looks like best bet for flying before rain and snow Saturday evening?
Local weather forecast calls for westerly winds all day. This morning it show light–2 m.p.h. so up slope flow should over power it. NBR is down again but I can see up slope flow at windsock. Sunshine should give us up slope flow this AM before 30% chance of thunderstorms this P.M.
Thermal soaring forecast is excellent with no over development!
Pressure gradient -.18″but sun shine is causing up slope flow at NBR Snow on ground so slippery. Weather map shows many clouds over CO so don’t know how much longer sunshine will continue for a sled ride. Let me know if interested in one.